21 June 2010

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer


The only reason I chose to read this book is because the library where I am now employed had like 7 copies.  That must mean a book is good, right?
In this case, absolutely.

I really enjoyed this book and I can promise you, if it had been written when I was 13, I would have begged my parents for a pair of mirrored sunglasses and a bodyguard.

This is the story of Artemis Fowl, the son of an Irish crime lord who has disappeared.  Artemis is now in charge of the family at the young age of 12.  He is more than capable of the task of running a successful business, but his father's disappearance has left the Fowl family low on funds.  So Artemis devises a scheme to catch a leprechaun, or to be more politically correct, a LEPrecon officer.  This first book is about his capture of officer Holly Short and his bid for her ransom gold.

I enjoyed the fact that the author, Eoin (pronounced Owen), has an awesome and fresh take on something we all grew up knowing about - Leprechauns and their gold.  I also very much enjoyed the fact that the main character, Artemis, fluctuates between protagonist and antagonist throughout the entire story.  You want him to win, but he's supposed to be the bad guy.  In any case, this book is a great young adult (eh, more teen than anything) read.

So here's a little extra information about your blogger:  humor gets you everywhere with me.  Thus, two of my favorite authors are Jennifer Lancaster and Christopher Moore, both of whom understand that part of the joy of reading is a good laugh/snort/chortle out loud moment.  While creating this review, I visited Eoin Colfer's website and he made me laugh...hard.  So now I'm going to have to read all the Artemis Fowl books and probably add him to my favorite author list.  That, and he's Irish, so it's probably ok for me (a woman of legal age) to enjoy a pint of Magner's (my favorite ale) while reading his books.

Note:  if you are not 21 years or older, it is completely inappropriate for you to enjoy a pint of anything stronger than milk while reading this book.  You can, however, enjoy some lucky charms.  They're magically delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your opinion of this or any books you've read here. Proper APA citiation style preferred (ha!)