Avi - An Author worth reading
This is not your typical posting for me, but because I had to do an author study for grad school, I thought I'd share with all of you what I'd learned.
Avi? Is an awesome author. For multiple reasons.
1) He has one name. Like Madonna. And Prince. Instant cool.
2) He writes children's books/YA novels about good stuff - morals and doing what is right.
3) He is not limited to one genre. He's written historical ficiton, children's books, thrillers, you name it.
4) One Newberry Medal and two Newberry Honors top his list of awards. I'd print the whole list, but it's long.
5) And lastly, in a time where our teenagers and young people are swept up in vampire thrillers and the like, Avi's novels are interesting to kids (and adults) on a level that is familiar. His characters go through things that everyone goes through, and he doesn't have to set his novels in fantastic, unrealistic situations (not that I think fantasy is bad, I like fantasy. It's just nice to read something like Nothing but the Truth that strikes a chord with everyday students and teaches them about communication and honesty without supernatural forces).
The books that I loved the most are: