31 May 2010

The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty


The Memory of Running
Ron McLarty

This book was recommended to me by my dear friend Katy. I've learned over the years that if Katy recommends it, it will be a good read. This is the story of Smithy Ide - a young man who has drifted through life with, in my opinion, very little purpose. He grew up helping his parents take care of his schizophrenic sister, Bethany, and instead of going after the things he wanted, he just allowed life to happen to him. When his parents suddenly die in a car accident, he sets off on his old bicycle from Rhode Island to California, and unknowingly figures himself out along the way.

I liked the writing style - the chapters switch between present and past, giving the reader the feeling of experiencing current events and memories just as Smithy would. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending - it was a little scripted/obvious. But it was still a worthwhile read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to add your opinion of this or any books you've read here. Proper APA citiation style preferred (ha!)